Focus on goal, not on tasks.

Hi, I had a problem with plan my life. Why? I did a lot of tasks every day, but I still stand in the same place. I change my mindset and it is working now. I change a lot of tasks to goal. This method can be used in Scrum, so I want to share you my think.

Difference

I am starting from show you my definitions of task and goal.

The goal for me is the result, which I want to get. For example: I would like to write the application for team cup foosball using Django.

The task for me is the piece of way to get the goal. For example: Watch tutorial for creating an application using Django or prepare use cases for application.

Why goal is better?

Goal has a value. We should focus on a goal, because when we get that we get a value. Of course, sometimes our tasks have the values too, but the core of value is in goal. The value for a lot of tasks is our goal. Example: I want to watch tutorial for creating an application using Django, because I would like to write the application for team cup foosball. Yes, it have the same advantage in this case, but the goal has another else.

The second reason, why I like goals, is that I can change my tasks during getting the goal. A lot of times I change my mind, during getting the goal. This is a natural process, because we have more knowledge after each task. Sometimes, when I do automatically my tasks, I forgot to think about why I did it. I didn't stop and think about my solution. I had the tasks and I focused on the tasks. This is not agile. Now, I every day focus on my goal. I can measure where am I, because I know what I want on the final state. Of course I prepare some tasks to do. I have a global vision how will I do it, but this task and my vision are evolving over time. Sometimes my goal is changed too, because my knowledge is better. Sometimes I think that I don't want it anymore. When I do the tasks, I get the information about it later than I focus on the goal.

Sometimes task is better

The tasks is better when you delegate something to other people. This is easier, when you tell him what you want. This can be working with a small group of people, because you should spend a time with each person. Your time is limited, so you shouldn't waste it. Sometimes we must make a task for other people, because we know that domain of the problem is very complex and complicated. If you know that person doesn't manage with a goal, you should help him with tasks. This is a topic for another post, but I hope you understand me.

Summary

Focus on the goal is more flexible and this way is more agile. I see a value of this way and I am using it every day. Such as I mentioned the tasks is easier to delegate to the other person (often with less knowledge of the domain). You should remember that when you are delegating the task that you should support the person who do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why TDD is bad practice?

How correctly imitate dependencies?

Software development using Angular 5 with Spring Boot