Why we need to automate everything?

I think I waste my time when I do something twice. Why I don't automate it? I don't have a clue. We need to automate more and more things. We need to save our time.

Why?

People time is very expensive. I think my time is priceless, so why I don't save my time by automate my processes? Sometimes it is unprofitable, because we need a lot of time and resources to automate and a little time and resource to do it many times like robots for join your telephone with charger. The problems, which we can automate, are exist. Add new post to your blog. Publish information about new posts on fan pages. A lot of things we can automate. We don't do it, because we don't think about profit. We think, when we do something fast we save our time. This is the wrong way to think.

Example

Netflix a creates a very good feature for saving my time. It automates skip intro and closing credits. This feature saves me hours. When I watched a TV show in another site I skip it manually (better or worse) or I was waiting and watching it.

I don't know how many time developers spend when they create that feature, but take a look to users.

In the 2017 Netflix has 117,5 million users. Let's assume that each user watch one episode of tv show per week and intro lasts 30s. In the week users save about 1 million hours. This is very big value.

Programmers a lot of things should automate. What do you do before starting your programming? Read the emails? Why you don't open your email browser with start system? You do it in 10 min and save 10s everyday. You need only 60 days to profit. I think you don't fired during that period. After emails I assume you want to programming. You need to fetch all changes from git, merge develop to your branches, run docker, run the IDE, run your application, check if your problem exists. These things you should automatic. You waste a lot of time for it. Additionally, you use a Kanban board so after resolve task you have to change status, you need to merge it to develop, push it and against start with the above flow for new task. Do you feel it? It is something wrong.

Open your eyes

We, read developers, have a lot of processes. We use a lot of tools to increase speed of development, but we don't use it automatically. We always click the same combination every day and we do it like automatic, but not automatic. We have a powerful tool. We know how programming, how automate process, but we don't do it. Of course, sometimes we do it. A lot of time we copy paste a lot of code for creating something new. In this case, maybe we should create a generator for this.

Our life is more and more repeatable. We go to work, working, go to the gym, go to home, make something to eat, go sleep. This is a process too. Think about it. A lot of things you do every day, every night, every work day. Automate it. You save your time, so you should be more productive or have more free time. I don't know how you, but I don't like to do something twice.

Summary

Don't worry. I don't automate my processes too. I need a lot of time to consider that something is wrong. I want to automatic my process and I know I need a lot of time for it, but awareness is a blessing and I want to use this fact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why TDD is bad practice?

How correctly imitate dependencies?

Software development using Angular 5 with Spring Boot